Re: new hol-light package

Le 17/05/2013 14:47, Hendrik Tews a écrit :
> I updated the hol-light package in the git repository with a new
> upstream version and some fixes, including OCaml 4 compatibility.
> As usual, the package passes the test suite, running for 18 hours
> now. The hol-light PTS page lists a lintian error, which I don't
> see myself with the lintian from sid. I believe, this error is an
> instance of #707742. It would be nice if somebody could sponsor
> an upload for hol-light.

This would delay the migration of camlp5, which is already 8 days old,
so please wait for that first. See [1].

[1] https://wiki.debian.org/Teams/OCamlTaskForce/OCamlTransitions

> To make OCaml 4 compatibility checking easier, it would be nice
> if packages with reverse dependencies could be uploaded to
> experimental. I had to build the camlp5 package myself, because
> it is not installable in experimental.

Uploading packages to experimental so that they are compiled with OCaml
4 also requires a versioned dependency to ocaml, which is wrong most of
the time. Then, you have to remove the experimental version either by
uploading a newer one to unstable or asking ftp-masters, which is extra
work (and extra worry), compared to binNMUs. So I would avoid it, unless
really necessary (e.g. testing on exotic architectures, or hard
dependencies like findlib and the needed intermediate packages). If your
package compiles just fine after all its build-dependencies are
binNMUed, then it is not worth the trouble to actually upload it to
experimental.

IMHO, experimental is not the right tool for preparing an OCaml
transition, or testing a new OCaml version. Maybe PPAs as envisonned by
Joerg [2] will be. I usually build a private repository (like [3]),
shortly before the transition to check that everything goes well before
actually starting the transition.

[2] https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2013/05/msg00131.html
[3] http://ocaml.debian.net/debian/ocaml-3.12.1/

Stéphane