Re: New dependency system.

On Tue, Oct 13, 2009 at 10:48:29AM -0400, Eric Cooper wrote:
> Perhaps one could add a mechanism for C stubs that would make
> them refer to a versioned symbol in the OCaml runtime, similar to how
> Linux kernel modules work?  That way at least the dlopen would fail
> rather than segfaulting.

I don't know enough of the kernel modules mechanism to make an informed
comment, but I notice that to have the same level of control of OCaml
static linking, you would need to represent as symbols all OCaml entry
points implemented by C stubs, as well as their types. Doesn't look
entirely trivial to me .... It might be similar to what happens with C++
symbol mangling, but with the additional burden of types.

Storing a checksum looks way easier, the main difficult is extracting
the stuff which needed to be checksummed during build.