Re: New dependency system.

On 12-10-2009, Stefano Zacchiroli <zack@debian.org> wrote:

> --tThc/1wpZn/ma/RB
>
> On Mon, Oct 12, 2009 at 07:34:14AM +0000, Sylvain Le Gall wrote:
>> The short answer is: it is on the TODO list. Technically speaking, I
>> think we add a dependency, but based on the provides. We should do it
>> with the (=3D ${binary:Version}) ASAP.=20
>
> Care to explain why it is not subsumed by the libfoo-ocaml-dev-ABI ->
> libfoo-ocaml-ABI which is now automatically added? (see my other post in
> this thread for full context and example).

It is almost the same thing, but I think it is more clear with a (=
${binary:Version}).

The main difference, is that in the case of dev -> runtime dependency
we can have stronger dependency. As you know, there is a probability to
miss some depends due to the hash/limitation in precision. For this
deps, we have enough information to set a stronger dependency.

And of course, this look like the good old proven method ;-)

Regards
Sylvain Le Gall