Re: RFH: Where/How to setup RCS for new libfuse-ocaml package

Stéphane Glondu <steph@glondu.net> writes:

> Goswin von Brederlow a écrit :
>> There is no pristine tarball and I don't intend to ever release
>> anything without a debian dir. There is no upstream svn
>> repository. There is just the fully debianized source. A native Debian
>> package.
>
> IMHO, I don't thing this is a good thing for something that is not
> really Debian-specific. The upstream development can be quite different
> from the Debian package evolution. Besides, uploading a new .orig.tar.gz
> at each Debian change can be quite a waste of resources (if, for
> example, that change is just adding a dependency to dh-ocaml^W some
> package or renaming some variable because of policy change).

-rw-r--r-- 1 mrvn mrvn  751 Mar  2 17:51 libfuse-ocaml_0.0.1.dsc
-rw-r--r-- 1 mrvn mrvn  22K Mar  2 17:51 libfuse-ocaml_0.0.1.tar.gz
-rw-r--r-- 1 mrvn mrvn 7.5K Mar  2 17:51 libfuse-ocaml_0.0.1_amd64.deb

It's not like this is anywhere near the size where it matters.

>> Git is just fine. And upstream == Debian. Having two separate VCS just
>> means twice the work commiting changes so I would really like to avoid
>> that.
>
> With a single Git repository, you can keep upstream and Debian
> development in separate branches, and merge them when needed. This is
> what is done with approx (have a look at its history with gitk). Even
> without being upstream, you can import upstream history if they use Git,
> and merge directly from branches of theirs.
>
>> Can git-buildpackage work on native packages? Is there a quick guide on
>> how to configure for that?
>
> Sure. For example, dh-ocaml. There is not much differences from
> non-native packages. If there is no upstream/pristine-tar branches,
> git-buildpackage will assume it is a native package.

Ok, I will mirror dh-ocaml then.

>> The question isn't how to create a repository but how to arange the
>> things you put into it.
>>
>> For example for svn-buildpackage I would create
>> /branches/
>> /tags/
>> /trunk/debian/svn-deblayout
>
> In a nutshell, with Git, everything is organized in branches:
>
>  * master: evolution of Debian packaging (with debian dir)
>  * upstream: evolution of upstream (without debian dir), frequently
>    merged into master (each merge corresponds to a "new upstream"
>    changelog entry, and a bump in the upstream version number)
>  * pristine-tar: used to generate tarballs (useful for non-native
>    packages, even when there is no upstream tarball)
>

> Cheers,
>
> --
> Stéphane

MfG