Re: xmlm_1.0.1-1_amd64.changes is NEW

Le Thursday 14 May 2009 23:45:56 David MENTRE, vous avez écrit :
> Dependencies are nice to have (code reuse, security fix as you
> underlined it) but can be a nightmare if they are two numerous. This
> is usually not the case on Debian and Ubuntu thanks to Debian
> developers but this is not the case on other distributions. Anyway,
> this general issue is not related to Debian packaging. ;-)

Well, in fact it is..

The reason why I want to switch to xmlm is that we integrated xml-light in our
project using its findlib support. Unfortunately, this support was a debian-
specific addition, so that users compiling xml-light from source could not
compile use it with findlib...

I had then to given them patches, but could never suceed in propagating this
upstream (well in fact there is a sort of broken support in the CVS version
for what I remember, but everything has been unmaintained for ages now..)

Hence, shipping ocaml modules with findlib added in debian can also lead to
issues if it is not added upstream at some point.

Seeing that xmlm is currently maintained and that it has a support for findlib,
as well as a simple way to upgrade code was clearly the main motivation for me
on that topic..

Romain