Re: xmlm_1.0.1-1_amd64.changes is NEW

Le Thursday 14 May 2009 21:30:39 David MENTRE, vous avez écrit :
> Hello Romain,

	Hi !

> On Thu, May 14, 2009 at 12:18, Debian Installer
> <installer@ftp-master.debian.org> wrote:
> > OCaml xml manipulation module
> >  Xmlm allows the OCaml programmer to manipulate xml data.
> >  Its complexity is half-way between the easy xml-light module and
> >  a full parsing of xml data.
> I am half surprised by the packaging of Xmlm as the recommended way to
> use it is to copy/paste the two source files in your source tree (I'm
> using it).
> Why package it at all?

Well, I do not really know where to start for explaining that.. Somehow, you
raise a much more general question, which why we want to build against ocaml
modules without including them in the source tree of the other projects.

Hence, the answer is more general, and relates to two issues:
 * Security fixes: when a security issue is fixed in the module/library, then it
it can be fixed in a single place and propagated to software that depends on
it. For usual libraries, it simply means installing the fixed dynamic object
and rely on dynamic link edition. For OCaml modules, it means recompiling
against the fixed module. Thanks to the autobuilder, this task can be
 * More generally, it makes it easy to follow upstream's developpements. If
you include a copy of the code in your source tree, means you have to
republish a new version of your project each time you want to update the
module's code..

As a side note, xmlm includes a META file, which adds support for findlib, which
is mainly used to compile against external ocaml modules. This seems to
indicate that xmlm's upstream author has nothing against doing so, then..

However, I found several things that should be fixed in order to properly
support findlib and external compilation, and will send a patch to the author