Re: roadmap to OCaml >> 3.11 in Lenny+1

Hello Stefano,

On Mon, Feb 9, 2009 at 14:37, Stefano Zacchiroli <zack@debian.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 09, 2009 at 02:07:13PM +0100, David MENTRE wrote:
>>  - Resurrect modified scripts to have an overview of OCaml packages on Ubuntu.
>
> Uh? What does it mean? Please expand ...

I once adapted Debian scripts to watch status of OCaml packages on Ubuntu:
  http://bentobako.org/tmp/ubuntu-only/debian-ocaml-status.html

I need to modify them so as to provide a daily up-to-date status (no
work for Debian developers here ;-).

> Well, Debian-side, we have no idea of what does a
> Debian-synchronization is, and IMO it shouldn't be required.

Disclaimer: I'm a simple Ubuntu and Debian user.

As far as I know:
 - There are no Ubuntu developers for OCaml;

 - Therefore, *all* OCaml packages in Ubuntu are direct import of
Debian packages, *unmodified*[1]. Those packages are imported during
as synchronization window with Debian sid opened at the beginning of
each development period of a new Ubuntu release. For the coming Jaunty
release, it was during November and December 2008:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/JauntyReleaseSchedule

 - As such, Debian developers have a *direct* control of which Ocaml
packages are imported in Ubuntu or not, depending on what is available
in Debian sid during the synchronization period. Outside those
periods, only manual requests can allow sid packages to migrate to
Ubuntu. As a direct consequence, if the Debian sid repository is in
bad shape (e.g. OCaml major version transition to 3.11) during the
Ubuntu synchronization window, the next Ubuntu will be released with
very sub-optimal and maybe unusable OCaml.

"Political" note: I do understand that Debian developers don't care
about Ubuntu. This is not there distribution and they have enough work
to care about in Debian itself. But Ubuntu is widely used, especially
on the desktop. *I* think it would be positive for OCaml if Ubuntu
OCaml packages would be in good shape.

> What is
> required is that people Ubuntu side send patches to our packages, or
> possibly directly commit to our repository in case they have alioth
> account (which we have never negated to people interested in working
> on Debian packages).

As I said, I don't think any Ubuntu people are interested in OCaml
packages in themselves.

I'll try to make an inventory of Ubuntu patches on OCaml Debian packages.

> Nevertheless, if you want, we can while repackaging have a look at the
> diffs, but the patch flow should really go the other way around.

I understand that.

I am not a Debian or Ubuntu developer and I don't want to step in
neither of those role.

Sincerely yours,
d.

[1] A few packages are modified, but I think it is more related to
other Ubuntu packages (Ubuntu wide changes) than real Ubuntu specific
changes on OCaml packages.