Re: roadmap to OCaml >> 3.11 in Lenny+1

On 09-02-2009, Stéphane Glondu <steph@glondu.net> wrote:
> Sylvain Le Gall a écrit :
>> - Reintegrate missing native arch: at least ARM, maybe IA64 and alpha.
>>   Some bugs for this arches has been fixed upstream
>
> Concerning arm: it will be deprecated (IIUC) in favour of armel in
> Lenny+n (with n >= 1) (which currently hasn't got a native compiler, see
> upstream bug #3746).

Maybe Xavier has plan to enable it also on armel (I think Xavier Leroy
is interested in arm support for ocaml -- especially the one coming with
NSLU2).

Anyway, if we can produce a working ocamlopt for arm, we should do it
even if it will be deprecated in Lenny+n (remember n can be a big
number).

> Concerning ia64 and alpha: compiling the compiler itself might be
> possible, but debugging FTBFSs afterwards might be tricky... and
> restricted to people willing to debug this and having access to such
> architectures (I don't). Are there such people?

I think we have 2 or 3 identified issues concerning this. We should just
give it a try, if possible. For accessing such an environment, DD have
access to some:

gildor@albeniz:~$ uname -a
Linux albeniz 2.6.18-6-alpha-generic #1 Fri Dec 12 16:22:32 UTC 2008
alpha GNU/Linux

gildor@merkel:~$ uname -a
Linux merkel 2.6.28.4-dsa-mckinley #1 SMP Sun Feb 8 12:18:20 UTC 2009
ia64 GNU/Linux

I need to check that I can really use this machine, but I think it is
ok.

Regards,
Sylvain Le Gall