Re: debian ocaml packaging policy :: findlib->site-lib

On 29-12-2008, Florent Monnier <fmonnier@linux-nantes.fr.eu.org> wrote:

>> > For example, to search the configuration of debian findlib I have
>> > searched for the build script of the ocaml packages, and felt there :
>> > http://svn.debian.org/wsvn/pkg-ocaml-maint/trunk/packages/?rev=0&sc=0
>> > where I do not see any findlib.
>> > So I felt in the position to download a .deb and open it with ar x.
>> > Writing it in the policy would simplify the life of foreigners.
>>
>> Does Findlib.search_path, meta_directory et al solve your issue ? I
>> don't see what need "ar x" . Findlib is pretty well built and give
>> access through its library to most of its variables.
>
> Hi Sylvain,
>
> (blue_prawn@localhost ~)% ocaml -I +site-lib/findlib/ findlib.cma
>         Objective Caml version 3.10.2
>
> # Findlib.search_path () ;;
> - : string list = ["/usr/lib/ocaml/site-lib"]
>
> Remember, I am a Mandriva user, not a Debian user.

gildor@giga(etch/amd64):~$ ocaml
        Objective Caml version 3.09.2

# #use "topfind";;
- : unit = ()
Findlib has been successfully loaded. Additional directives:
  #require "package";;      to load a package
  #list;;                   to list the available packages
  #camlp4o;;                to load camlp4 (standard syntax)
  #camlp4r;;                to load camlp4 (revised syntax)
  #predicates "p,q,...";;   to set these predicates
  Topfind.reset();;         to force that packages will be reloaded
  #thread;;                 to enable threads

- : unit = ()
# #require "findlib";;
/usr/lib/ocaml/3.09.2/findlib: added to search path
# Findlib.search_path () ;;
- : string list =
["/usr/local/lib/ocaml/3.09.2"; "/usr/lib/ocaml/3.09.2";
 "/usr/lib/ocaml/3.09.2/METAS"]

in other word
$> ocaml
#use "topfind";;
#require "findlib";;
Findlib.search_path ();;

Should tell you what you need to know, without having to know the
precise configuration of findlib (not even where is findlib.cma).

I think this was done on purpose, the place of topfind should be
constant (i.e. in $(OCAML_CORE_STDLIB))

Is this enough to get the information you need ?

Regards,
Sylvain Le Gall