Re: Policy, location of .cma files in binary packages, and dynlink...

On Mon, Jan 21, 2008 at 11:07:03AM +0100, Samuel Mimram wrote:
> Just a small but important point about dependencies: I guess that cma
> are not ABI compatible between two different versions of OCaml. This

I guess so too, but it would be wonderful if someone can check this.

> So how do we enforce consistent dependencies?

Good point, and actually worst than the similar problem for md5sum
consistency, as I'm not aware of any way to extract the ocaml abi
version number from a bytecode object (while we have ocamlobjinfo to
extract md5sum information).  Maybe, on the automation side if ever
dh_ocaml will see the light :-), we should try to look in the compiler
code if some versioned magic number can be extracted via ocamlobjinfo
(patching it of course).

> The easiest way I see for now is to create an empty package
> ocaml-abi-N.NN and make libraries and programs doing dynamic loading
> depend on this package but this is quite intrusive and heavy. Does
> anybody has a better idea?

Yes in principle, but why we need a new empty package? Can't we just add
the provides to ocaml-base-nox? It won't be possible for any bytecode
OCaml program to use bytecode objects without that package, so why
looking for a new one?

zack@{upsilon.cc,cs.unibo.it,debian.org}  -<%>-  http://upsilon.cc/zack/