Re: Some of your Debian packages might need attention -- Felix

On Sun, Jul 29, 2007 at 04:13:37PM +1000, skaller wrote:
> On Sun, 2007-07-29 at 07:41 +0200, Lionel Elie Mamane wrote:

>>> #424252 -- felix: FTBFS if built twice in a row
>>> Looks like a packaging issue..

>> Yes, but... The origin of the problem seems to be that your
>> upstream tarball contains binaries, that get recompiled during the
>> build?  That's weird, but I don't know felix so maybe you have a
>> good reason for that.

> The tarball contains *text files* only,

OK, then I jumped to conclusions from the bug report, so it is
something more subtle that you / Mike Furr will have to investigate.

> How is the second build done? If you 'make' something twice it
> usually doesn't do anything the second time. If you use make
> clean/distclean, or whatever, the bug would be in the cleaning
> process.

As the bug report says, it was "unpack, build, clean, build". Now that
you mention it, incomplete clean would explain the bug, too. Maybe
"make distclean" doesn't remove a.out, flxlib.cmxa, flxlib.a and
hostlib/libelk_host_static.a that get created by the build. The log
"says binary file contents changed", that's why I thought of a binary
file in the original tarball, but a *new* binary file would also be
"contents changed", I guess.

"changed" and "new" are between:

 - just after unpack
 - after build && clean

Normally there should be _no_ difference between these two moments.

--
Lionel