Re: ocaml 3.10.0 packages news

On Mon, 2007-06-18 at 16:32 -0400, Mike Furr wrote:
> Several
> build environments seem to check for what is installed, but I don't
> think any of them actually do anything different based on what is
> installed.  ocamlopt and ocamlopt.opt are almost always operationally
> equivalent (except for the rare compiler stack-overflow).

Felix chooses the 'best' compiler from this order:

	ocamlopt.opt
	ocamlopt
	ocamlc.opt
	ocamlc

unless told to use bytecode (ocamlc variant). However at the moment
use of the dypgen extensible GLR parser is making a stack overflow
in dypgen executable AND stack overflow in ocaml native code
generating compilers when processing the Felix grammar on a 32 bit
machine (on Cygwin at least).

It would actually be nice if there were a way to build an executable
in both forms and choose which to use: bytecode offers
better diagnostics and debugging capability but is much slower.
Unfortunately I can't think of an easy way to do it .. perhaps

	bin/byte/flxg   # bytecode version
	bin/native/flxg # native code version

and then use PATH to chose, or symlink or copy into bin, or even make
a directory

	bin/caml

symlinked (or copied) to (from) one of the bin/byte or bin/native.

For different reasons Felix won't build on ia64 on Debian autobuilder,
probably due to bugs in Ocaml native code compilers for that arch.