Re: ocaml 3.10.0 packages news

Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
- the ocaml-nox .deb is now about 30 Mb and installs something like 9 Mb
  of camlp4 related executables (sizes on i386 arch). Shall we split out
  an ocaml-camlp4-extras with the various kind of camlp4 executables?

As seems to be the consensus: definitely!

- the ocaml-source package now contains ocaml sources *after* debian
  specific patches have been applied. Is that what we want? (My answer
  is yes, but one can argue that a vanilla source tarball is desirable)

Agreed.

- ocamlbuild is installed upstream as ocamlbuild.byte /
  ocamlbuild.native / ocamlbuild (the latter being a *copy* of the best
  executable among the former two). This breaks the convention of foo /
  foo.opt of other legacy ocaml tools. I thus renamed ocamlbuild so that
  the plain version is bytecode (and is in ocaml-nox) and so that
  ocamlbuild.opt is the optimized version (and is in
  ocaml-native-compilers). Do you like my choice?

As a general point, I've always been somewhat annoyed by having this stratification. It seems to me that there is no good reason to have both the native and byte code version of stand-alone executables installed at the same time (or preferring the byte code version over a native code version). Ideally, a package should only provide one or the other. I wonder if it would be a good idea to try to make ocaml-native-compilers follow this as well (replace ocamlopt with ocamlopt.opt instead of installing both at the same time). Several build environments seem to check for what is installed, but I don't think any of them actually do anything different based on what is installed. ocamlopt and ocamlopt.opt are almost always operationally equivalent (except for the rare compiler stack-overflow).

- assuming the experimental packages are fine (please test them no
  matter the open issues above!) are we ready to upload to unstable? (Of
  course pending an approval of the RMs)

Just FYI, the regexp-pp package will not work with ocaml 3.10, but I'm not sure that it is maintained upstream and seems to be subsumed by micmatch anyway. So I'm just planning on seeming which package gets updated for 3.10 and possibly dropping regexp-pp from the archive if it is indeed deprecated. It certainly shouldn't affect our decision on moving to 3.10.

Cheers,
-Mike