Re: dpkg-shlibdeps problem

On Sun, 2006-08-27 at 17:34 +1000, skaller wrote:

> dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: format of libdemux_dynamic.so not recognized

[]

> I'm not sure why dh_shlibdeps is needed .. I guess it is trying
> to calculated Depends package names based on library names
> which are actually detected as dependencies .. ?
>
> If so, the above warning is harmless (since the library named
> is sure to be available since it is actually part of the
> package).

I should add: if it is not looking for what the shlib itself
depends on, it is bad: the shlibs may also depend on external
libraries and of course these do have to be installed on
the client machine.

For example a dependency on GMP (GNU multiple precision
arithmetic library) may exist, in which case control must Depend:
directly or indirectly on the package containing it.

In fact, typically the -dev package will be required.

This is hard to get right: although there are regression
tests included with the package, they cannot be run
automatically with the installed package .. they're
run only at build time.

I think this is an upstream design bug. However for
Debian it can be fixed with a postinstall script, right?
Without such tests .. there's no easy way to tell if
the .deb is actually right.

I'm not sure a 20 minute postinstall script is a nice
thing tho .. :)