Re: Starting a transition to ocaml 3.09.2

On Tue, Apr 18, 2006 at 11:19:01AM +0200, Julien Cristau wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 18, 2006 at 08:43:46 +0200, Sven Luther wrote:
>
> > There is the issue of the rpath though, which is removed for some packages,
> > but maybe not for all, and which by default sets the rpath to /usr/X11R6
> > stuff.
> >
> > Maybe we should make sure 3.09.2 has no rpath at all, or move this rpath to
> > /usr/lib or something ?
> >
> > Any comment ?
> >
> Fedora uses a patch to make sure ocamlmklib doesn't
> set the rpath in generated libraries:
> http://cvs.fedora.redhat.com/lxr/extras/source/devel/ocaml/ocaml-rpath.patch
>
> I have never seen a case when the rpath setting was necessary, can
> anyone explain what it's there for?

I think the RPATH is a thing of the elf format or whatever to find the path to
libraries, in the static case probably or something such, since usually ld.so
will handle that just fine.

it is set for all ocaml binaries, mostly because upstream ocaml does feel
paranoiac, and non-debian-ocaml-users can install ocaml in some random and
varied possible way with libraries installed all over the place.

It should thus never be needed for ocaml packages in debian, and there are
some which consider rpath evil even.

I would thus recomend that the 3.09.2 ocaml package applies the above patch
(after cheking its validity), and that maybe we start lobbying upstream to
include a -norpath or whatever option to configure to disable this rpath
stuff.