Re: Please don't upload yet, until we have a working alpha ocaml test suite.

On Thu, Nov 10, 2005 at 23:43:32 +0000, skaller wrote:

> Upstream Felix checks dynamically, and uses the first of:
>
> ocamlopt.opt
> ocamlopt
> ocamlc.opt
> ocamlc
>
> which is actually available. It doesn't check if they
> actually work of course :) Using ocamlopt.opt instead
> of ocamlopt has no real impact on end users -- it is done
> simply for upstream developers to get the best performance
> when repeatedly rebuilding.
>
> Is this 'a bad thing' for Debian?

It isn't, but debian packages typically build-depend on the ocaml-nox or
ocaml packages, whereas ocamlc.opt and ocamlopt.opt, if available, are
in the ocaml-native-compilers package, which is not installed on the
buildds (although there are a few exceptions, like coq).

> Debian script can intervene and 'fix' the configuration
> script after it has run if necessary. Also I can tailor
> the configure script for Debian as required -- the script
> already checks if it is running on a Debian box by
> trying to run apt-get. The result is used to set the
> default install prefix to /usr/local (non-Debian) or /usr (Debian).

That's broken. The default install prefix should always be /usr/local,
which is reserved to the local sysadmin. The /usr tree is used by the
package manager, so shouldn't be used by local builds.

Cheers,
Julien