Re: Please don't upload yet, until we have a working alpha ocaml test suite.

On Thu, Nov 10, 2005 at 11:43:32PM +1100, skaller wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-11-10 at 13:23 +0100, Julien Cristau wrote:
>
> > I don't understand why all packages will need to be reuploaded, since
> > AFAIK only ocamlopt.opt is broken on alpha, and most packages use ocamlc
> > and ocamlopt, not the native code version.
>
> Upstream Felix checks dynamically, and uses the first of:
>
> ocamlopt.opt
> ocamlopt
> ocamlc.opt
> ocamlc
>
> which is actually available. It doesn't check if they
> actually work of course :) Using ocamlopt.opt instead
> of ocamlopt has no real impact on end users -- it is done
> simply for upstream developers to get the best performance
> when repeatedly rebuilding.
>
> Is this 'a bad thing' for Debian?

Only when a broken binutils has been uploaded for alpha which silently broken
ocamlopt.opt :)

That said, the debian tool need to be able to either build bytecode or
nativecode, so it is usually a good thing to have opt and byte targets in the
makefile to do the right thing, in addition to the automated way.

> Debian script can intervene and 'fix' the configuration
> script after it has run if necessary. Also I can tailor
> the configure script for Debian as required -- the script
> already checks if it is running on a Debian box by
> trying to run apt-get. The result is used to set the
> default install prefix to /usr/local (non-Debian) or /usr (Debian).

Bah, you know that apt-get is available for other things than debian, right ?
There is even some flavour of apt which work with rpms or stuff.