Re: Please don't upload yet, until we have a working alpha ocaml test suite.

On Thu, 2005-11-10 at 13:23 +0100, Julien Cristau wrote:

> I don't understand why all packages will need to be reuploaded, since
> AFAIK only ocamlopt.opt is broken on alpha, and most packages use ocamlc
> and ocamlopt, not the native code version.

Upstream Felix checks dynamically, and uses the first of:

ocamlopt.opt
ocamlopt
ocamlc.opt
ocamlc

which is actually available. It doesn't check if they
actually work of course :) Using ocamlopt.opt instead
of ocamlopt has no real impact on end users -- it is done
simply for upstream developers to get the best performance
when repeatedly rebuilding.

Is this 'a bad thing' for Debian?

Debian script can intervene and 'fix' the configuration
script after it has run if necessary. Also I can tailor
the configure script for Debian as required -- the script
already checks if it is running on a Debian box by
trying to run apt-get. The result is used to set the
default install prefix to /usr/local (non-Debian) or /usr (Debian).