Re: ocaml 3.09.0 and word from the RMs ...

On Wed, Nov 02, 2005 at 03:56:07PM +0100, Sven Luther wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 02, 2005 at 03:44:40PM +0100, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
> > On Wed, Nov 02, 2005 at 02:58:42PM +0100, Julien Cristau wrote:
> > > The build-dependency on the virtual packages is needed when the runtime
> > > dependencies are hard-coded. If they are generated at build-time, you
> > > don't need to build-depend on the virtual package, you can just use
> > > ocaml (>= 3.09.0) or similar. This will actually work better, since
> > > autobuilders will automatically put your package in Dep-Wait for ocaml
> > > until ocaml is build and uploaded.
> >
> > Ok, I have a clearer understanding now. I suddenly like this new
> > implementation technique of our policy :-)
>
> So, what do we decide on ? Two places where the abi number is hard coded, or
> generating the debian/control dynamically ?

I'm glad this discussion came up, since I was about to post about this
anyway.  I don't fully understand all the issues, but in the past few
hours I've been trying to rebuild approx using 3.09, and have gotten
very frustrated.

First I built and installed the ocaml 3.09 binary packages from the
source package in experimental.  Then I tried to build approx, but
since it depends (indirectly) on lots of libraries -- ocamlnet,
labl{gl,gtk}, equeue, syslog, etc. I had to rebuild them first.  The
build-depends information doesn't catch any of these, because they are
installed, but not with the right version.

And of course to build new versions, I had to edit all the control
files, *.files, *.install, *.dirs, etc files in the debian
subdirectories, even though there was no change to the source code.

It certainly seems wrong to have to change so many files when there's
only a "mechanical" change like a new compiler version.
A changelog that contains almost nothing but
   * Updated to 3.09
   * Updated to 3.08.3
   * Updated to 3.08
is pretty useless.

We need a scheme that eliminates the need for any manual edits when
rebuilding libraries and packages, if nothing has changed except the
compiler version.