Re: cduce_0.3.2-1_powerpc.changes REJECTED

On Wed, Apr 13, 2005 at 12:10:23AM +0200, Thomas Petazzoni wrote:
> >I can sometimes understand if a special path like /usr/lib/PACKAGE is
> >needed, but usr/local/lib? No.
> As I'm a new packager, and very new to Ocaml stuff, I've asked
> experienced Ocaml packagers about this issue. It appears to be that it
> is a well-known issue, that has already been discussed on the
> debian-mentors list [1] as well as on the specific debian-ocaml-maint
> list [2].

Indeed, Joerg is right.

Ocaml packages have often rpath to
/usr/lib/ocaml/[OCAMLVERSION]/stublibs since there are located .so
objects dynamically loaded by the interpreter. This is ok since ocaml
debian packaging ensures that these shared objects are located in that
directory on every debian installation (same assumption that other
packages do for supporting .so pluging installed on /usr/lib/SOMEWHERE).

But /usr/local/lib is really strange and should be avoided, probably it
is there for some upstream issues in the compilation phase.

I (sponsor of the package), will have a look at this issue together with
Thomas and perform a new upload. Thanks for the report Joerg, I missed
this detail.

Just out of curiosity, why do you consider this "bug" important enough
to stop a package enter the archive? I don't think it is that critical
after all.

> issue with Ocaml. In fact, the ld.so and gcc things are now involved
> with these rpath, it's up to the Ocaml virtual machine to handle them.

Yes, it is the ocaml interpreter in charge of handle them, but as far as
they are under /usr/lib/ we can assume that all .so are handled
uniformly on all debian installation. If they are locate in /usr/local
we can't make the same assumption (cfr. the FHS).