[damien.doligez@inria.fr: [Caml-list] announcement: Objective Caml 3.08.3]

Oh well, it is a month after i was told about it, and i wonder if now is the
time for a full migration or not. I don't have time today, but will work on a
experimental (or not uploaded or whatever) set of packages tomorrow.

I think we should investigate, and decide by this WE if we are going to try
for 3.08.3 or not, given how near we are to the sarge release and all.

I personally feel that it may not possible to do this at this time, but will
speak with vorlon about it and report back.

Could each of you experiment a bit with their packages once i made 3.08.3
available and tell us how it went ?

We need a full ocaml-3.08 -> ocaml-3.08.3 upgrade path.

(Notice that Xavier told me that shipping with 3.08.2 would be ok for them, as
it is not all that severly broken, but this was a month and a half ago).

----- Forwarded message from Damien Doligez <damien.doligez@inria.fr> -----

Hello,

We have the pleasure of announcing the release of

             Objective Caml version 3.08.3

This is mostly a bug-fix release; see below for the list of
changes.  Upgrading is not urgent unless you have problems with
one of the bugs listed below.

Please note that we do not guarantee binary compatibility with
previous versions (including 3.08.2).

Only the source is available for the moment.  We will provide some
binaries in the near future.

It is available at http://caml.inria.fr/ocaml/release.en.html

-- Damien Doligez for the Caml Team

Objective Caml 3.08.3:
----------------------

New features:
- support for ocamlopt -pack under Mac OS X (PR#2634, PR#3320)
- ignore unknown warning options for forward and backward compatibility
- runtime: export caml_compare_unordered (PR#3479)
- camlp4: install argl.* files (PR#3439)
- ocamldoc: add -man-section option
- labltk: add the "solid" relief option (PR#3343)
- compiler: ocamlc -i now prints variance annotations

Bug fixes:
- typing: fix unsoundness in type declaration variance inference.
    Type parameters which are constrained must now have an explicit
variant
    annotation, otherwise they are invariant. This is not backward
    compatible, so this might break code which either uses subtyping or
    uses the relaxed value restriction (i.e. was not typable before
3.07)
- typing: erroneous partial match warning for polymorphic variants
(PR#3424)
- runtime: handle the case of an empty command line (PR#3409, PR#3444)
- stdlib: make Sys.executable_name an absolute path in native code
(PR#3303)
- runtime: fix memory leak in finalise.c
- runtime: auto-trigger compaction even if gc is called manually
(PR#3392)
- stdlib: fix segfault in Obj.dup on zero-sized values (PR#3406)
- camlp4: correct parsing of the $ identifier (PR#3310, PR#3469)
- windows (MS tools): use link /lib instead of lib (PR#3333)
- windows (MS tools): change default install destination
- autoconf: better checking of SSE2 instructions (PR#3329, PR#3330)
- graphics: make close_graph close the X display as well as the window
(PR#3312)
- num: fix big_int_of_string (empty string) (PR#3483)
- num: fix big bug on 64-bit architecture (PR#3299)
- str: better documentation of string_match and string_partial_match
(PR#3395)
- unix: fix file descriptor leak in Unix.accept (PR#3423)
- unix: miscellaneous clean-ups
- unix: fix documentation of Unix.tm (PR#3341)
- graphics: fix problem when allocating lots of images under Windows
(PR#3433)
- compiler: fix error message with -pack when .cmi is missing (PR#3028)
- cygwin: fix problem with compilation of camlheader (PR#3485)
- stdlib: Filename.basename doesn't return an empty string any more
(PR#3451)
- stdlib: better documentation of Open_excl flag (PR#3450)
- ocamlcp: accept -thread option (PR#3511)
- ocamldep: handle spaces in file names (PR#3370)
- compiler: remove spurious warning in pattern-matching on variants
(PR#3424)
- windows: better handling of InterpreterPath registry entry (PR#3334,
PR#3432)