Re: New packages librpc-ocaml-dev and cduce

On Mon, Feb 07, 2005 at 10:00:38AM +0100, Thomas Petazzoni wrote:
> Hello,
>
> In the process of creating Debian packages for the Democratic Experience
> project (http://www.demexp.org), I had to create two new Debian packages :
>
>  - librpc-ocaml-dev, which is an implementation of Sun RPCs. I've
> packaged upstream version 0.4.1
>    http://www.ocaml-programming.de/packages/documentation/rpc/
>
>  - cduce, which is a programming language specifically designed for the
> manipulation of XML documents. I've packaged upstream version 0.2.2
> (only version 0.1.1 was available as a Debian package on cduce.org)
>    http://www.cduce.org
>
> Both package are free of Lintian warnings, and are available in
> http://thomas.enix.org/pub/debian/packages/. However, I am not sure they
> fully comply to Debian standards, as these are my first packages.
>
> I just wanted to inform Debian maintainers that someone packaged these
> softwares. If you think we can integrate them in the Debian archive,
> I'll fill an ITP.
>
> Regarding the licensing issues, librpc-ocaml-dev is licensed under the GPL.

Cool.

> GPL. cduce is currently licensed under the QPL
> (http://www.cduce.org/c-bin/viewcvs.cgi/LICENSE?rev=1.2&content-type=text/vnd.viewcvs-markup),
>  but is in the process of changing its licence for something GPL-compatible.

That would be cool, since not only is the plain QPL GPL incompatible, but it
is also non-free.

> Don't hesitate to give me your feedback,

First, would you consider becoming part of the debian-ocaml-maint team, and
commit your packaging effort in our subversion repo on alioth ? You need to
create an alioth acount, and we will approve you, and you can then checkin the
stuff, and we can more easily review and upload/sponsor it for you.

Also, did you read the ocaml packaging policy ?