Re: both native & bytecode

On Wednesday 27 October 2004 22:06, Sven Luther wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 27, 2004 at 07:21:45PM +0200, Samuel Mimram wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I have a few comments on your control file, I might be wrong since I
> > don't really know ara :
> > * if you don't need the Graphics or Tk modules, you should depend on the
> > -nox versions of the packages (in particular for ara which does not
> > require X, I guess). Anyway you don't need to depend on ocaml,
> > ocaml-base and ocaml-base-nox since ocaml-base-nox is implied by
> > ocaml-base which is implied by ocaml. So I would simply put
> > ocaml-nox-3.08 in the Build-Depends.
> > * Does xara-gtk really use lablgl? (it's in the build-deps)
>
> It is transitivily depended by lablgtk2 anyway.
>
> > * You should not build-depend on ocaml-native-compilers since it is not
> > available on some non-native archs. You could depend on
> > ocaml-best-compilers but anyway your app is, I guess, small enough not
> > to require native compilers when available.
>
> I thought so at first, but had second thought about it. Ara does pretty
> heavy status file parsing, and it seem to know over 20k packages on my
> install (sid + some stuff), so altough this is disk bound, a native code
> version is well waranted (unless i am missing something).

We have native or bytecode in svn depending whither /usr/bin/ocamlopt is
found.

> > * I don't really see the point in providing both ara and ara-byte (and
> > idem for xara-gtk). You could simply provide an ara package which
> > contains native ara on archs which support that and bytecode else.
>
> No, please don't. The nice thing with this is that the bytecode version
> gets built only one time, so you save 3 times the space, and don't need to
> build on mipsel, mips, m68k and s390. For this alone, it is worth it. I do
> this for spamoracle, and it works fairly well, and is a setup i am
> particularly proud of.

You are right, but I prefered the more simple soluton for the time being, I
left that advanced setup for you to look at during next few days. Now we have
package building which works although using some more build time and space.
Bekre, I've made any [x]ara.[ opt | bt ] -> [x]ara ;-) this is a tmp solution
though and we will leave for renaming just want we have...

--
pub 4096R/0E4BD0AB  2003-03-18  <keyserver.bu.edu ; pgp.mit.edu>
fingerprint 1AE7 7C66 0A26 5BFF DF22 5D55 1C57 0C89 0E4B D0AB