Re: both native & bytecode

Hello,

I have a few comments on your control file, I might be wrong since I don't really know ara : * if you don't need the Graphics or Tk modules, you should depend on the -nox versions of the packages (in particular for ara which does not require X, I guess). Anyway you don't need to depend on ocaml, ocaml-base and ocaml-base-nox since ocaml-base-nox is implied by ocaml-base which is implied by ocaml. So I would simply put ocaml-nox-3.08 in the Build-Depends.
* Does xara-gtk really use lablgl? (it's in the build-deps)
* You should not build-depend on ocaml-native-compilers since it is not available on some non-native archs. You could depend on ocaml-best-compilers but anyway your app is, I guess, small enough not to require native compilers when available. * I don't really see the point in providing both ara and ara-byte (and idem for xara-gtk). You could simply provide an ara package which contains native ara on archs which support that and bytecode else. * I think you don't need to explicitely specify the lib dependencies for xara-gtk: they should be automatically put by the ${shlibs:Depends}. The only thing you need is liblablgtk2-ocaml (which should be there).

Again, I had only a quick look at your files and I might be wrong.

Regards,

Samuel.

Basically in debian/control I have:
------------------------
Source: ara
Section: utils
Maintainer: George Danchev <danchev@spnet.net>
Build-Depends: debhelper (>= 4.0.0), ocaml-3.08, liblablgl-ocaml-dev, liblablgtk2-ocaml-dev, ocaml-base, ocaml-base-nox, ocaml-interp, ocaml-native-compilers, ocaml-nox
Standards-Version: 3.6.1

Package: ara
Architecture: alpha amd64 arm hppa i386 ia64 powerpc sparc
Depends: ${shlibs:Depends}, ocaml-base-3.08
Conflicts: ara-byte
Replaces: ara-byte
 ara is a utility for doing boolean regexp queries on the Debian
 package database.
 .
 The database lives, by default, as a text file under the path
 /var/lib/dpkg/available on your Debian installation. It lists all
 packages, installed or not, that are known to your Debian package
 management system.
 .
 ara can perform sophisticated queries on that database. It is possible
 to use any field of the package database as a search criterion and any
 boolean combination thereof.
 .
 This is the CLI version.

Package: ara-byte
Architecture: all
Depends: ${shlibs:Depends}, ocaml-base-3.08
Provides: ara
Conflicts: ara
Replaces: ara
 ara is a utility for doing boolean regexp queries on the Debian
 package database.
 .
 The database lives, by default, as a text file under the path
 /var/lib/dpkg/available on your Debian installation. It lists all
 packages, installed or not, that are known to your Debian package
 management system.
 .
 ara can perform sophisticated queries on that database. It is possible
 to use any field of the package database as a search criterion and any
 boolean combination thereof.
 .
 This is the CLI version.

Package: xara-gtk
Architecture: alpha amd64 arm hppa i386 ia64 powerpc sparc
Depends: ${shlibs:Depends}, libatk1.0-0 (>= 1.6.0), libc6 (>= 2.3.2.ds1-4), libglib2.0-0 (>= 2.4.6), libgtk2.0-0 (>= 2.4.4), libncurses5 (>= 5.4-1), libpango1.0-0 (>= 1.4.1), libpcre3 (>= 4.5), libexpat1, libfontconfig1, libfreetype6, libx11-6, libxcursor1, libxext6, libxft2, libxi6, libxrandr2, libxrender1, zlib1g
Conflicts: xara-gtk-byte
Relpaces: xara-gtk-byte
 ara is a utility for doing boolean regexp queries on the Debian
 package database.
 .
 The database lives, by default, as a text file under the path
 /var/lib/dpkg/available on your Debian installation. It lists all
 packages, installed or not, that are known to your Debian package
 management system.
 .
 ara can perform sophisticated queries on that database. It is possible
 to use any field of the package database as a search criterion and any
 boolean combination thereof.
 .
 This is the GTK2 GUI version.

Package: xara-gtk-byte
Architecture: all
Depends: ${shlibs:Depends}, libatk1.0-0 (>= 1.6.0), libc6 (>= 2.3.2.ds1-4), libglib2.0-0 (>= 2.4.6), libgtk2.0-0 (>= 2.4.4), libncurses5 (>= 5.4-1), libpango1.0-0 (>= 1.4.1), libpcre3 (>= 4.5), libexpat1, libfontconfig1, libfreetype6, libx11-6, libxcursor1, libxext6, libxft2, libxi6, libxrandr2, libxrender1, zlib1g
Provides: xara-gtk
Conflicts: xara-gtk
Replaces: xara-gtk
 ara is a utility for doing boolean regexp queries on the Debian
 package database.
 .
 The database lives, by default, as a text file under the path
 /var/lib/dpkg/available on your Debian installation. It lists all
 packages, installed or not, that are known to your Debian package
 management system.
 .
 ara can perform sophisticated queries on that database. It is possible
 to use any field of the package database as a search criterion and any
 boolean combination thereof.
 .
 This is the GTK2 GUI version.

AFAIK, I can test whither to build native or bytecode this way:
from debian/rules:

-------
        $(MAKE) bt
        if [ -x /usr/bin/ocamlopt ]; then \
        $(MAKE); \
        fi
-------

Attached is a patch against the current code from svn. Please apply, although the install target remains to be fixed. I hope someone to fix it soon at full length, because I wont have the spare time to work on till friday morning.