Re: What news from QPL and upstream?

On Fri, Jul 30, 2004 at 11:05:45AM +0200, Jérôme Marant wrote:
> Quoting Sven Luther <sven.luther@wanadoo.fr>:
>
> > On Fri, Jul 30, 2004 at 09:32:53AM +0200, Jérôme Marant wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > Did any arrangement was decided with upstream about the QPL?
> >
> > I had positive replies from Xavier about this, we are dropping both the QPL
> > 6c
> > and the clause of venue, which shouls satisfy part of the debian-legal folk.
> >
> > The issues about QPL 3 have much less consensus, so they stay for now.
> >
> > Xavier want to do a 3.08.1 release with these changes, probably by end of
> > august, but i fear this may be just with the tentative release schedule, in
> > which case i will push for a debian special exception or something such. But
> > the most probable is that we will ship sarge with a relicenced 3.08.1, and
> > everyone will be happy.
> >
> > The tentative text of the new copyright file is at, so please look at it and
> > comment. This is not yet official and has not yet been approved by Xavier
> > though.
> >

> http://svn.debian.org/viewcvs/*checkout*/pkg-ocaml-maint/packages/ocaml/copyright?rev=530
>
> Very good news, thanks.
>

> > > About emacs files?
> >
> > In theory yes, Xavier will wait for the return of vacations of Damien
> > begining
> > of august and discuss that with him. Current situation is there are no emacs
> > files in the installed packages and this will stay so until the issue is
> > solved though.
>
> In practice, you must remove them from the source as well. So, as long as
> you don't do this, not shipping them doesn't change anything.

No, since the explicit GPL close is about distributing linked versions, which
we don't do anyway, but it could be argued that we make it easy for it to
happen, but if we remove it from the binary packages, it should be ok. I dont
see why shipping a bunch of source which is otherwise free, should be a
problem.

> Since I think Damien will change things, I think we could ship them until
> the 3.08.1 comes out (with proper reasonnable explaination in the bug report).

Well, since start of august is ratherimminent, and i don't want to make a new
upload before 7 days are passed, i think we can wait a bit.