Re: Installing more of OCaml

On Fri, Apr 23, 2004 at 11:09:58AM +0200, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 22, 2004 at 09:35:02PM +0200, Alain.Frisch@ens.fr wrote:
> > typing/. It turns out that that the toplevellib.cma contains the code we
> > need, but:
> > - the .cmi are not available;
> > - we want native code as well as bytecode;
> > - we want to -pack the units to avoid name collisions, but this is not
> >   possible with libraries.
>
> The request sounds reasonable to me, but I would like to better
> understand if and how this package could be useful to anyone else than
> the CDuce project. Alain, could you please elaborate on that? You surely
> know better than me the structure of the ocaml compiler sources ...
>
> OTOH the person that should take a final decision on this issue is Sven
> Luther, maintainer of the "ocaml" package. Unfortunately Sven is going
> to be away for a month or so, as announced on this list some days ago.

Yes, altough i managed to get internet acess finallym, and am trying to
catch up with almost a week of unread mail :/. Also, i am not sure i can
really have a go at building this stuff before i come back.

That said, i am ok with this idea, and would suggest that we perhaps
create a ocaml-build package either replacing or mirroring the
ocaml-source one, which could be used in this way. I don't really aprove
of the ocaml source thingy, but well, it seems some of this stuff is
unavoidable.

One neat solution would be to replace ocaml-source by ocaml-build, and
have it contain all the stuff needed by third party packages (like
cameleon, i think), this would probably be worth it.

Alain, will you then package the CDuce stuff and have it sponsored into
debian or something such ?

One last thing to notic though is that i expect the sarge release to
freeze by mid june, andthe official release to happen somewhen in july.
This meens that the time period we have for working this out is short,
and, altough i will have intermittent internet access this week, i
believe i will be mostly offline the two weeks after that. Could i ask
the help of my felloz debian/ocaml maintainers fo pulling this through
in the SVN rep, and even upload a package if need be ? This and the
ocaml-interp are the two things i would like to happen before sarge
release, and maybe the fixing iof all the other bugs.

Another point would be to have ocaml be using the list as maintainer,
since my time allotment for it has been rather less this past time, but
i would still stay tjhe main maintainer of itm but this would allow
faster reactivity from us all, what do you think ?

> Once the utility of the package you're proposing has been discussed a
> bit more, I can prepare an unofficial ocaml package and distribute it
> via experimental distribution or a personal apt repository. Then, if the
> package is fine, and Sven agrees we will upload the package to
> debian/unstable.

Yes, that would be nice, altough i have a feeling that it would not be
necessary to do the experimental upload. There will be NEW handling
also.

> Alternatively we can upload a completely new package, unrelated to the
> ocaml source package, containing the library we are discussing about.
> But I think this choice is unwise since we will turn out to have two
> different source package of the ocaml upstream distribution.

I don't like that to happen, it is not a good idea.