Re: Installing more of OCaml

On Thu, Apr 22, 2004 at 09:35:02PM +0200, Alain.Frisch@ens.fr wrote:
> typing/. It turns out that that the toplevellib.cma contains the code we
> need, but:
> - the .cmi are not available;
> - we want native code as well as bytecode;
> - we want to -pack the units to avoid name collisions, but this is not
>   possible with libraries.

The request sounds reasonable to me, but I would like to better
understand if and how this package could be useful to anyone else than
the CDuce project. Alain, could you please elaborate on that? You surely
know better than me the structure of the ocaml compiler sources ...

OTOH the person that should take a final decision on this issue is Sven
Luther, maintainer of the "ocaml" package. Unfortunately Sven is going
to be away for a month or so, as announced on this list some days ago.

Once the utility of the package you're proposing has been discussed a
bit more, I can prepare an unofficial ocaml package and distribute it
via experimental distribution or a personal apt repository. Then, if the
package is fine, and Sven agrees we will upload the package to
debian/unstable.

Alternatively we can upload a completely new package, unrelated to the
ocaml source package, containing the library we are discussing about.
But I think this choice is unwise since we will turn out to have two
different source package of the ocaml upstream distribution.