Re: Permission to commit watch : bibtex2html...

On Wed, Apr 21, 2004 at 12:25:14AM +0200, Sylvain LE GALL wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On Tue, Apr 20, 2004 at 08:11:24AM +0200, Ralf Treinen wrote:
> > On Mon, Apr 19, 2004 at 11:54:10PM +0200, Sylvain LE GALL wrote:
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > I have added some watch file for different packages :
> > > - bibtex2html
> >
> > > So, i am just asking if i am permitted to add it to the svn ?
> >
> > Please don't add it for bibtex2html. The problem is that JCF
> > insists on a numbering scheme which goes like
> > 1.58, 1.59, 1.6, 1.61, ... which doesn't correspond to the
> > natural ordering relation. So a watch file would give (in some
> > cases) wrong results, unless it is possible to implement a
> > translation of upstream version numbers. Is this possible in
> > a watch file? Like translating "\d\.\d" to "\d\.\d0" ?
> >

> That's strange, here is the output of uscan :
> gildor@grand:~/deb/ocaml-package/bibtex2html$ uscan --report --verbose

> bibtex2html-1.59.tar.gz
> bibtex2html-1.60.tar.gz
> bibtex2html-1.61.tar.gz

> Maybe i am wrong ?

Sylvain, you are right. I was mistaken about bibtex2html versioning.

Anyway, I have now added a debian/watch file to bibtex2html.
For hevea please go ahead if you wish.

BTW: I was thinking that it should be possible to use watch files to
download upstream tarballs. For instance, opkg-buildpackage could
take the url in the watch file, substitute the regexp for the version
by the most recent version number in the changelog, and then use
wget to download the tar ball. This way we could avoid uploading
orig.tar.gz' into svn.

The downside would be of course that we would depend on the upstream
repository. The upstream site could be down, or upstream could
change the source while keeping the same version number.

What do you guys think about this ?

-Ralf.