Re: ocaml 3.06-17

On Sun, Jun 08, 2003 at 04:32:55PM +0200, Sven Luther wrote:
> > > Ah, so that is where these come from.
> >
> > Sure, I told it to you a few weeks ago on this ML :-)
>
> You should have filled a bug report or something, i think my memory is
> slipping, ...
>
> > > I will add the conflict then. What about simply removing the dir if it
> > > exist, or maybe i should really add the debconf question in case it is
> > > not a symlink.
> >
> > No need, if really camlidl is the only other package installing stuff in
> > /usr/include/caml (and I'm almost sure this is the case), the conflict
> > should be enough to avoid remaining stuff in that directory.
>
> Mmm, can't find anything else, apart from ocaml and camlidl in stable,
> not /usr/include/caml in either testing or unstable.
>
> This does take in account broken third-party installs, which may have
> landed there trough the /usr/lib/ocaml/caml symlink in the past. I
> realize now that this was a bad move back then to change the directory.

Ok, i am preparing a new package now, with the conflict, and an empty
preinst warning if /usr/include/caml is a symlink. This should be enough
for now, and still have a warning which would make detecting problematic
cases easier. I think the package is ok to release, i can always release
a -18 later on.

> Good news on another fron though, Maxence fixed the whatis bug in cvs, i
> only need to pilfer the patch :)))

No good news finally, the whatis bug #183936 is different from the
whatis bug #159581 Maxence fixed in september and i applied in 3.06-7.

This will be for next time, Maxence, if you read this, can you have a
look at #183936 ?

BTW, Anyway, i had hoped to ship with ocaml 3.07, i don't know if the
ocaml and sarge release schedules will make this possible, but ocaml
should ship this summer, while sarge should not freeze before debconf at
the earliest, so this should give us enough time. But we would need to
be reactive about this when the 3.07 release does happeen.

I am thinking of creating a 3.07 pool on people.debian.org, where i will
package the CVS version, and where everyone can upload their library
packages as well to make sure the transition works out fine. As for the
transition, i am not entirely sure i will have time to manage a trully
parallel installable 3.07, so maybe we will go for a simple 3.06.1 ->
3.07 transition, like the 3.06 -> 3.06.1 one. Since we should be near
the sarge release by that time, it should not be all that problematic.