Re: Getting mod_caml and perl4caml into Debian

On Sat, Nov 01, 2003 at 06:28:48PM +0000, Richard Jones wrote:
> Hopefully these packages should be slightly better.
>
> http://www.annexia.org/tmp/modcaml-src/
>
> Dependencies are OK, although I can't work out how to force it to
> depend on a particular version of OCaml (doing 'ocaml (= 3.07)'

Read the ocaml_packaging_policy document in /usr/share/doc/ocaml.

The correct way of doing this is to build depend on ocaml-3.07 and
depend on ocaml-base-3.07 for the runtime library and ocaml-3.07 for the
-dev library.

> The source code archive that it produces is all wrong.

Huh ?

> Not really sure which files need to go in the plain package, and which
> in the -dev package, and whether it is worth having a separate

Well the -dev is for the development stuff, while the plain package is
the runtime package, what is needed to run modcaml built binaries. In
normal packages with C bindings you put the dll.so in there only, but in
your case you may need to put more stuff, apache related stuff maybe ?

> -examples packages. The OCaml packaging policy suggests that the
> current split is OK.

Nope, put them in -dev. You could imagine having a modcaml-doc if you
have loads of documentation, but i think it is not worth it.

> Haven't fixed the native version so this would build correctly on
> platforms without ocamlopt. Note that mod_caml doesn't ordinarily use
> native executables, the reason being that it uses Dynlink for
> everything and Dynlink only supports bytecode. However I do build /
> use the Dbi modules separately, and so those are compiled natively for
> now.

Ok, ...

Maybe you could post a small description on how your package is exactly
to be used, especially the interaction with apache, and i can give you
more advanced help on these topics.