Re: how to ask for packages rebuilding

On Sun, Oct 19, 2003 at 10:13:06PM +0200, Wouter Verhelst wrote:
> Op zo 19-10-2003, om 20:04 schreef Sven Luther:
> > >
> > > You should first check what the status of your package is, by going to
> > > http://buildd.debian.org/stats/ . I wrote some documentation on what the
> > > different states actually mean; you can find it at
> > > http://people.debian.org/~wouter/wanna-build-states
> >
> > Yep, this is the case, we naturally check these kind of things first.
> >
> > > If that convinces you that human intervention is required (that's not
> > > always the case), you should contact the people that can actually do
> > > something about it, so the per architecture mailing lists.
> >
> > Packages that need to be rebuilt on m68k are :
> >
> >   gdome2-xslt, gtkmathview and lablgtkmathview
> >
> >   => gdome2-xslt was last tried on Oct 12, and failed to build because
> >   of gdome2, altough gdome2 was sucessfully built on Oct 9. The two
> >   other packages depend on gdom2-xslt in a chained way (first
> >   gtkmathview and then lablgtkmathview).
> >
> >   netclient, ocamlnet, pcre-ocaml, xstr and pxp.
> >
> >   => netclient depends on ocamlnet, which depends on pcre-ocaml which
> >   depends on findlib, which was sucessfully built in the same Oct 12 run
> >   the other failed. pxp depends on ocamlnet and findlib and wlex, xstr
> >   depends on findlib, which was built in the same run.
>
> These all boil down to the same problem: ocaml was upgraded to
> ocaml-3.07, while the packages that were available at the time depended
> on ocaml-3.06-1. Since that doesn't exist anymore, they'll never become
> needs-build again. Under normal circumstances we find such things
> ourselves, but since we've got quite some backlog currently...

No, not exactly. The problem is that ocaml 3.07 is available, and ocaml
3.06-1 is no more, but the older libraries depended on ocaml 3.06-1,
while the rebuilt ones depend on ocaml 3.07. This mean that the
libraries need to be rebuilt in build-depend order, not all together, or
there will always be build problems. Example with ocaml, lablgl and
lablgtk, which i maintain :

lablgtk depends on lablgl. I uploaded ocaml, lablgl and lablgtk at the
same time. The autobuilder rebuilt ocaml, but could not find ocaml for
lablgl and lablgtk, and thus stalled. In a further run, you notice that
the autobuilder has rebuilt ocaml, and thus reschedule lablgl and
lablgtk again. lablgl builds fine, but lablgtk needs both ocaml 3.07 and
a version of lablgl which is rebuilt with ocaml 3.07. But the only
version of lablgl that is available is the lablgl built with ocaml
3.06-1, and the build fails. As i see it, it then needs manual
intervention to rebuild, and this are failure you don't necessarily
catch, having not the knowledge of the ocaml thing that we ocaml
maintainers have. Ideally, it could be automated, by delaying the build
of these packages by one day, and it would be fine.

So, what can we do to solve this thing in the future ? Either we upload
these packages with one day delay for each dependency chain, which is
not that good, since other auto-builder can handle this better, building
out of incoming and such, or we add an explicit build-dependency on
lablgl (>= 0.99-16) to lablgtk, 0.99-15 being the last ocaml 3.06-1
rebuilt package. I don't know if the autobuilders are smart enough to
notice this kind of error, and trigger a rebuild only if the
build-dependencies are available, but this could be a good thing to do,
and would also lower the lost time for the autobuilders trying to build
packages that are not buildable because of dependencies.

> I just instructed wanna-build to pretend ocaml-3.06-1 is available; all
> packages depending on ocaml-3.06-1 should at least be in needs-build
> again.

Nope, this is not the solution. Just don't remove these packages from
needs-build, as they are all buildable, they just need to be built in
the proper order, and with one day difference unless you reuse the just
built packages for building the others.

> > All these packages could be built without problem, if they are
> > rescheduled and built in order.
> >
> > So, i know you maintain a m68k autobuilder, could you do it, or should i
> > ask on debian-68k ?
>
> Does that help? ;-)

Just not removing them from needs-build would be enough.

> > This is in an effort to get all the 40 or so ocaml packages ready to
> > enter testing by friday/saturday next week, so it would be nice if they
> > could be rebuilt.
>
> I can't promise anything about that, but at least they're re-scheduled
> again.

But if i understand the issues involved correctly, the first step of the
dependency chain will build, but all the other packages will drop again
from the needs-build queue, right ?

Anyway, this helps, since now someone from the autobuilder folk is aware
of the problem, and things will advance.