Re: Policy ready to be edited

Hello,

On Sun, Oct 19, 2003 at 10:27:36AM +0200, Jérôme Marant wrote:
> Quoting Sylvain LE GALL <sylvain.le-gall@polytechnique.org>:
>
> > As we have discussed on friday night :
> > - choose between putting META file either in stdlibdir/META.package
> >   or stdlibdir/package/META ( we have choose the second one because it is
> >   the default way of doint this with ocamlfind... )
>
> Both solution should be allowed because both are allowed by
> findlib.
> For example, in the case of cameleon, all libraries are installed
> in the cameleon directory. Using the second solution means
> creating one directory per library, which will only contain a
> single file (META) which is very silly.
> Sylvain, I'm sure you realize that this is not very smart.

I realize this is not very smart... But if you take a look at your
stdlibdir, you will find that it is already done !

Findlib preferred way of handling META is one per directory ( take a
look at /usr/lib/ocaml/3.07/{unix,str,dynlink...} ).

So smart or not, it seems that some people has already chosen their
methods ;->

A last argument : ocamlfind install my_package ... will install the
package in /usr/lib/ocaml/3.07/my_package with his META et al. So why do
we need to do something different that what we wants by using findlib (
ie in order to be consistent you have to take all the aspect of one
thing )...

> > - define a way to ship documentation generated by package or mli
> >   translation through ocamldoc :
> >    - my idea : create an ocamldoc-base package containing a script able
> >      to convert "ocamldoc.... -dump package.odoc" through "ocamldoc -load
> >      package.odoc .... (-html|-man|... )" to html, manpages...
> >    - zack idea : just use ocamldoc to generate html documentation in the
> >      package.
>
> You seem to give solutions, but what is the problem?

Well, the main problem is that : Reading and finding mli on your system
is not so easy for people who begin with ocaml... I want to ease this
things by providing man or html pages which is more common.