Re: Policy ready to be edited

Quoting Sylvain LE GALL <sylvain.le-gall@polytechnique.org>:

> I realize this is not very smart... But if you take a look at your
> stdlibdir, you will find that it is already done !
>
> Findlib preferred way of handling META is one per directory ( take a
> look at /usr/lib/ocaml/3.07/{unix,str,dynlink...} ).
>
> So smart or not, it seems that some people has already chosen their
> methods ;->

What are you taking about? There is more than one file in those
directories. Those directories where not created just in order to
put the META file, AFAIK. I'm not sure you understood what I said.

> A last argument : ocamlfind install my_package ... will install the
> package in /usr/lib/ocaml/3.07/my_package with his META et al. So why do
> we need to do something different that what we wants by using findlib (
> ie in order to be consistent you have to take all the aspect of one
> thing )...

Yes, META plus others files. I said it is stupid to create a directory
dedicated at _only one_ file which is the META file. In that case,
stdlibdir/META.pkg.

> > > - define a way to ship documentation generated by package or mli
> > >   translation through ocamldoc :
> > >    - my idea : create an ocamldoc-base package containing a script able
> > >      to convert "ocamldoc.... -dump package.odoc" through "ocamldoc
> -load
> > >      package.odoc .... (-html|-man|... )" to html, manpages...
> > >    - zack idea : just use ocamldoc to generate html documentation in the
> > >      package.
> >
> > You seem to give solutions, but what is the problem?
> >

> Well, the main problem is that : Reading and finding mli on your system
> is not so easy for people who begin with ocaml... I want to ease this
> things by providing man or html pages which is more common.

Works fine with ocamlbrowse.

--
Jérôme Marant