Re: the python way

On Wed, Jul 16, 2003 at 06:00:38PM +0200, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 16, 2003 at 04:22:43PM +0200, J?r?me Marant wrote:
> > This is overkilling. Apart from this, I think it is confusing because
> > users could interpret this as the lib version rather than the ocaml
> > version.
>
> Ok, so, considering again the python solution: each library maintainer
> decide which ocaml versions he would like to support, hopefully he will
> support at least the latest one.
>
> Then, our well known libfoo will produce:
> - libfoo-ocaml{,-dev} packages
> - libfoo-ocaml-3.07{,-dev} packages
> - libfoo-ocaml-3.06{,-dev} packages
> - libfoo-ocaml-...{,-dev} packages
>
> Having that libfoo-ocaml{,-dev} package are almost empties and depending
> on the version of the library rebuilt with the latest ocaml. In our
> example:
>
>   libfoo-ocaml will depend on libfoo-ocaml-3.07
>   libfoo-ocaml-dev will depend on libfoo-ocaml-3.07-dev
>
> Each libfoo-ocaml-<version>{,-dev} package will install stuff in
> /usr/lib/ocaml/<version>
>
> Maintainers that don't like/have time/whatever to support more than one
> ocaml version can simply provide libfoo-ocaml{,-dev} packages installing
> stuff in /usr/lib/ocaml/<latest_ocaml_version> as usual.
>
> The only drawback I see is that when a new ocaml version is released all
> the library packages maintained by maintainer supporting more than one
> ocaml version have to wait for manually approval by the FTP masters. It
> doesn't seem to me a big drawback.
>
> Please note that actually I don't know if I'm willing to maintain
> libraries for more than one ocaml version given that I maintain many of
> them. But I would like to left this possibility open.

You know that with a clever debian/rules, you could even build the
libraries with many different ocaml versions in one run ?

What i got from my experience of packaging ocaml libraries with
ocaml-3.07, is that you have to make lot of bookeepîng in the control
file and others, which is not really fun.