Re: About this ocaml versioning stuff

On Tue, Jul 15, 2003 at 03:26:55PM +0200, Jérôme Marant wrote:
> > > None I think. One ocaml per debian release sounds sane to me.
> >
> > Me too, but now is the time to discuss this with an open mind, which is
> > what i asked at first. There is good reasons and bad reasons for it,
> > let's examin it and make the choice based on it.
>
> We used to discuss this a lot in the past.

Sure, but we were discussing in the empty, now there is a working
implementation, which we could test, build a few libraries for, get a
feeling for it, and then weigth the pros and cons, not just speak in the
air about philosophical reasons.

> > > Compatibility is important for software authors, those who ship
> > > binaries, I said.
> >
> > And support of older versions is not ? Those who ship binaries ?
>
> There isn't any problem with it. Older versions are ship with
> stable Debian releases. Unstable and testing don't count.

You have to be able to look at the future, and see when sarge is
released and maybe even the version thereafter, and ocaml is 3.10.

> > > I think more and more of providing my own version of ocaml packages ...
> >
> > Why, there is no decision taken yet, we are just examining the
> > possibilities right now, try to look at it with an open mind.
>
> This is what I did so far, but I've never been convinced.

Yes, i know, but when did you get the feeling that i was going to force
this on you ? Or maybe my evil twin is in Paris and has been trying to
force you to change your mind ?