Re: About this ocaml versioning stuff

Selon Stefano Zacchiroli <zack@debian.org>:

> On Tue, Jul 15, 2003 at 09:47:50AM +0200, J?r?me Marant wrote:
> >   - binary compatibility: binaries distributed must always
> >     call #!/usr/bin/ocamlrun . Hence, you can run the same
> >     binary everywhere.
>
> Compatibility is lost anyway, the default ocamlrun path is
> /usr/local/bin/ocamlrun.

Not in RPM shipped by Mandrake and al. It is /usr/bin

> >   - source compatibility: autoconf scripts are seeking for
> >   ocamlc, ocamlopt and so on. At least, symlinks must always
> >   been there.
>
> We have ever spoken about symlink, that surely should be present and
> provide backward compatibility with the current (3.06) situation.  The

How?

> ocaml 3.07 package built by Sven has not yet them, just because it was
> an experiment to try if it is possible to add the -<version> suffix.

This is why it is wrong, since such packages do not provide the symlinks.
And if they provide symlinks, there is no point providing versioned
suffixes.

If you provide symlinks in an external package, there is no way to
force them being there.

Am I going to provide alternative ocaml packages ? };->

--
Jérôme Marant