Re: About this ocaml versioning stuff

On Tue, Jul 15, 2003 at 03:19:59PM +0200, J?r?me Marant wrote:
> > We have ever spoken about symlink, that surely should be present and
> > provide backward compatibility with the current (3.06) situation.  The
> How?

I suspect I have been misunderstood. I didn't mean 3.06/3.07
compatibility. I mean that executing ocaml/ocamlc/ocamlopt/... will run
the latest installed ocaml tools.

> > ocaml 3.07 package built by Sven has not yet them, just because it was
> > an experiment to try if it is possible to add the -<version> suffix.
> This is why it is wrong, since such packages do not provide the symlinks.

You're right, indeed they are not meant to be uploaded (or at least I
wont agree on such an upload :-).
Take them as a first step toward the final solution that will be
uploaded, Sven has not much time to work on them and we are sharing
efforts. If you can add symlinks _now_ you can do it and we will have a
better package sooner :-PPPP
Otherwise we should wait for Sven to add symlinks stuff.

> And if they provide symlinks, there is no point providing versioned
> suffixes.

This is not true. Having symlink permits you to have installed at the
same time 3.06 and 3.07 ocaml versions and therefore permit the new
ocaml package to start walking toward the testing entrance before the
old one is removed.

> Am I going to provide alternative ocaml packages ? };->

I would rather prefer you to improve Sven's :-)

--
Stefano Zacchiroli  --  Master in Computer Science @ Uni. Bologna, Italy
zack@{cs.unibo.it,debian.org,bononia.it}  -  http://www.bononia.it/zack/