Re: New ocaml-3.06 packages to test.

On Wed, Feb 26, 2003 at 11:08:06AM +0100, Jérôme Marant wrote:
> En réponse à Sven Luther <luther@dpt-info.u-strasbg.fr>:
>
> > > Well, I just had a look to the diff.gz, and I think you did it
> > > wrong.
> > > The new versioned packages must not replace the current ones.
> >
> > Why not ?
> >
> > Or do you plan to have both ocaml 3.06-15 and ocaml-3.06 3.06-16
> > installed at the same time ?
>
> Yes it is necessary, and then you must add the dummy packages.

No, i don't plan to have both ocaml-3.06 and ocaml (<= 3.06-15)
installed at the same time, this would be nightmarish.

The plan is that everyone uses ocaml 3.06-15, until i upload ocaml
3.06-16, which will be a dummy package pulling in ocaml-3.06 3.06-16.

This works fine, i did test it on two boxes, and it works transparently
on upgrade.

> > > You must provide one dummy package per versioned package.
> > > In the versioned package, you need to rename binaries
> > > like ocaml.ocaml-3.06-1, and the ocaml dummy package will
> > > provide a "ocaml" link to it.
> >
> > Mmm, i did not say that these where the definite versions. I think
> > some
> > kind of renaming is needed, like you say, and i will have to rename
> > all
> > executables, and provide links to it.
>
> I think it is time to do it properly don't you think?

Yes, sure, as time permits. I fixed the open bugs and the sparc FTBFS
issue yesterday (late, you may have noticed), which i think where more
important issues. That said, ocaml doesn't build yet on sparc, because
it fails to build the ocaml-native-compilers .deb, which has me utterly
baffled.

> Let's the mini free going on and let's take more time to experiment
> ideas. Would you like me to do some work on the ocaml packaging?

Yes, but we have at least 2 weeks before us, there is no urgency. I
think i prefer to do the work myself, just help me out on the thinking
part.

> > > You need do do such effort for every common file as well.
> > > (This is how it work with Python and GCC).
> >
> > No, only for the executables, the rest is already handled by the
> > changed
> > libdir, or am i missing something ?
>
> I have in mind at least conffiles and manpages.

Well, conffiles, there is only one such, /etc/ocaml/ld.conf, which is
really just a symlink on the /usr/lib/ocaml/3.06/ld.conf, so we could
use an alternative for this, or simply let it be set by the ocaml dummy
package, no problem there.

Manpages, i didn't think of it, mmm, i will give all files a look. It
will be messy though.