Re: New ocaml-3.06 packages to test.

En réponse à Sven Luther <luther@dpt-info.u-strasbg.fr>:

> > Yes it is necessary, and then you must add the dummy packages.
>
> No, i don't plan to have both ocaml-3.06 and ocaml (<= 3.06-15)
> installed at the same time, this would be nightmarish.
>
> The plan is that everyone uses ocaml 3.06-15, until i upload ocaml
> 3.06-16, which will be a dummy package pulling in ocaml-3.06 3.06-16.
>
> This works fine, i did test it on two boxes, and it works
> transparently
> on upgrade.

It probably works but it is hackish and ugly. I can see no reason
for it unless having several versions of ocaml at a time.
I see no reason for not doing properly.

> > > Mmm, i did not say that these where the definite versions. I think
> > > some
> > > kind of renaming is needed, like you say, and i will have to
> rename
> > > all
> > > executables, and provide links to it.
> >
> > I think it is time to do it properly don't you think?
>
> Yes, sure, as time permits. I fixed the open bugs and the sparc FTBFS
> issue yesterday (late, you may have noticed), which i think where more
> important issues. That said, ocaml doesn't build yet on sparc, because
> it fails to build the ocaml-native-compilers .deb, which has me
> utterly
> baffled.

You don't need to perform such major changes for gringing such fixes.

> > Let's the mini free going on and let's take more time to experiment
> > ideas. Would you like me to do some work on the ocaml packaging?
>
> Yes, but we have at least 2 weeks before us, there is no urgency. I
> think i prefer to do the work myself, just help me out on the thinking
> part.

So do things properly, please, not a partial hackish solution.

--
Jérôme Marant <jerome@marant.org>
              <jerome.marant@free.fr>

http://marant.org