Re: About Cameleon

On Thu, Aug 22, 2002 at 09:37:00AM +0200, Jérôme Marant wrote:
> Hello,
>
>   [ I know that Maxence is subscribed to the list so I hope
>     he'll be able to discuss with us. ]
>
>   I contacted Maxence yesterday about some minor problems
>   with Epeire packages I encountered (packages: epeire,
>   okey and gpattern).
>
>   He told me that those tarballs will no longer be available
>   separately and that Cameleon will be a single tarball
>   with everything in (epeire, zoggy, ocamlcvs, configwin
>   and so on).
>
>   I told him  that as a user and as a packager, I'd prefer
>   that everything be distributed separately because not
>   everyone is interested in everything within Cameleon.
>
>   This was exactly the same drawback that has been mentioned
>   by CDK authors that would have finaly prefered to distribute
>   small components separately instead of a big component that
>   has to be maintained as a whole.
>
>   What do you think about this ?

Well, you could make a single source tarball, which provide multiple
binary packages.

This way, debian users get the benefit of multiple packages, and you can
still be conformant with the upstream distirbuted tarballs. It needs a
bit more work from the packager, but not much, once you have set up the
rules the first time.