Re: 3.05 and future 3.06 binary compatibility ?

On Fri, Aug 09, 2002 at 03:16:08PM +0200, Sven LUTHER wrote:
> So if all agree, i will release a ocaml 3.05.is_really.3.04-1 package
> which will go back to the older 3.04-13 package, and keep 3.04 built
> libraries around, and switch to 3.06 in the begining of september or
> something such, and we can start rebuilding the libraries.

Why september? If ocaml 3.06 will be available next week we can start
rebuilding library next week ... (... and yes I will wait for 3.06
before start the rebuilding on my packages).

>   o Build regular cvs snapshot packages of ocaml and upload them to
>     experimental. The same could be done for some of the libraries also,
>     particularly at times were the binary compatibility is broken, if i
>     know about it. These could even be built to install in a parallel
>     way to the normal ocaml packages. For this having the debian
>     directory in CVS would be nice, i think.

I really like the cvs snapshot packages, but I don't see the point in
using experimental for such a reason. "unstable" distribution is
"unstable"!, experimental is thought for "high risk" packages, I hardly
see an ocaml bug (upstream or not) fit in this category.

The situation is slight different If you are thinking about waiting for
the rebuilt of all libraries before moving stuff from experimental to
unstable but this is simply an additional testing step that we really
don't need :-)

Don't forget that users are not supposed to be using unstable, but
rather stable or, at least, testing. Last release cycle was a mess so
many users had to use even unstable, but I am a bit more confident (or,
better, I want to be :) in next cycle fastness.

Back to the cvs snapshot packages: we can have an ocaml-snapshot package
(like mozilla does) that provides all the needed and conflict with ocaml
"official" packages. If things will get FUBAR an unstable user can, as
last resort, install the latest ocaml-snapshot package.

>   o When the next ocaml release happens, build the packages and put them
>     in experimental, or in another debian temporary staging areas (i
>     have to figure how this works), and upload the whole of it into
>     unstable/testing once we are somewhat sure that the release is
>     really stable.

See above.

Stefano Zacchiroli - undergraduate student of CS @ Univ. Bologna, Italy
zack@cs.unibo.it | ICQ# 33538863 | http://www.cs.unibo.it/~zacchiro
"I know you believe you understood what you think I said, but I am not
sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!" -- G.Romney