Re: [info@gerd-stolpmann.de: [Caml-list] OCaml packaging problems: findlib helps!]

On Tue, May 21, 2002 at 12:54:23PM +0200, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
> On Tue, May 21, 2002 at 12:07:07PM +0200, Sven Luther wrote:
> > Just a quick notice for debian packages and this :
>
> have you already forwarded this comments to Gerd?

No, i did a group rely though.

> >   o the name of the dir needs to be coordinated by upstream and there
> >   should be only one before we adopt it. Ideally it should be possible
>
> I've already replied to Gerd on the OCaml mailing list asking for
> comments from INRIA upstream even if the mail hasn't yet arrivied
> because it was delayed by some stupid MTA.
>
> >   o a dual solution (/usr/lib/ocaml/shlibs and
> >   /usr/local/lib/ocaml/shlibs) woulc be nice.
>
> agreed and easy, I will put the additional /usr/local/lib line in
> ld.conf when installing findlib package
>
> >   o i don't know findlib, so i may be speaking nonsense, but i would
> >   think it is usefull to have a manual override for specifying dll and
> >   so files by hand, so we don't have to worry about problems with
> >   automatic extension detection.
>
> Are you thinking about overriding the extensions considered as shared
> objects or are you talking about overriding the shared objects files
> directly?

Well, Gerd was speaking about problems with autodetecting dlls and so
files, if you have a manual override, then you can workaround those
(admitedly rare) problems.

> I think that is better to specify with a command line flag which files
> are shared objects. Currently to install files with findlib you have to
>
>   ocamlfind install -destdir /foo/bar file1 file2 file3 ...
>
> I'm thinking about something like
>
>   ocamlfind install -destdir /foo/bar -so foo.so -so bar.so file1 file2 file3

Yes, something such or :

 ... -solist foo.so bar.so -others file1 file2 file3

 (well, doing it the other way around, and you don't need the -other
 flag i use here (which is not a good name, btw)).

> Usually shared objects are really few so this hardly can be a problem.

Yes, ...

> > And since anyway, we do this at package preparation time, there is no
> > problem with doing this by hand (there are usually only a few such
> > files per package).

:)))