Re: [info@gerd-stolpmann.de: [Caml-list] OCaml packaging problems: findlib helps!]

On Tue, May 21, 2002 at 12:07:07PM +0200, Sven Luther wrote:
> Just a quick notice for debian packages and this :

have you already forwarded this comments to Gerd?

>   o the name of the dir needs to be coordinated by upstream and there
>   should be only one before we adopt it. Ideally it should be possible

I've already replied to Gerd on the OCaml mailing list asking for
comments from INRIA upstream even if the mail hasn't yet arrivied
because it was delayed by some stupid MTA.

>   o a dual solution (/usr/lib/ocaml/shlibs and
>   /usr/local/lib/ocaml/shlibs) woulc be nice.

agreed and easy, I will put the additional /usr/local/lib line in
ld.conf when installing findlib package

>   o i don't know findlib, so i may be speaking nonsense, but i would
>   think it is usefull to have a manual override for specifying dll and
>   so files by hand, so we don't have to worry about problems with
>   automatic extension detection.

Are you thinking about overriding the extensions considered as shared
objects or are you talking about overriding the shared objects files
directly?
I think that is better to specify with a command line flag which files
are shared objects. Currently to install files with findlib you have to

  ocamlfind install -destdir /foo/bar file1 file2 file3 ...

I'm thinking about something like

  ocamlfind install -destdir /foo/bar -so foo.so -so bar.so file1 file2 file3

Usually shared objects are really few so this hardly can be a problem.

--
Stefano Zacchiroli - undergraduate student of CS @ Univ. Bologna, Italy
zack@cs.unibo.it | ICQ# 33538863 | http://www.cs.unibo.it/~zacchiro