Re: ocaml-ldconf problems on Woody

On Fri, Dec 27, 2002 at 08:18:36AM -0500, Oleg wrote:
> Thanks, Sven and Stefano.
>
> I'm still curious: was it the intent of the packaging design to require of the
> users to supply "-I /usr/lib/ocaml/pcre" when they use Pcre module in their
> own programs?

It is upstream practice. in the libdir should go only the stuff that
comes with upstream, other library should go into their separate
directory. This even applies to some upstream provided stuff, like
labltk for example.

That said, there is a nicer way of doing this, you can provide simply :
"-I +pcre", which will prepend the libdir path tp pcre and will work
even if we move the libdir (like we did for ocaml 3.06 in unstable).

Another justification is for name space separation. Imagine pcre and
another lib both provide a module with the same name. If all where to be
installed into the libdir, it would cause problems.

Another step in that direction is to recompile everything using the
-pack option, which would enable you to have a pcre.A module, instead of
a module A in the pcre lib, but this practice has not yet been widely
propagated, maybe by the 3.07 or 3.08 timeframe.