Re: ocaml-ldconf problems on Woody

On Wed, Dec 25, 2002 at 10:00:08AM -0500, Oleg wrote:
> On Wednesday 25 December 2002 09:18 am, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
> > BTW, keeping on not answering your original question :-), you can find a
> > woody rebuilt version of pcre-ocaml and of all others 'new' debian
> > packages using an apt-gettable repository that I've set up.
> >
> > Just follow the instructions available at:
> >
> >   http://people.debian.org/~zack/ocaml/
>
> Thanks. I didn't know this.
> In the new version, two problems still persist:

Sorry for not responding earlier, i hope Stefano gave you a satisfying
solution to this, did he not ?

It seems strange that ocaml-ldconf did not do its job correctly, still
there are two things to remember :

1) user installed libs on woody go into /usr/local/lib/ocaml/stublibs,
which is configured by default in the ld.conf, no need to play
ocaml-ldconf tricks.

2) anyway, the ocaml-ldconf is only for ocamlrun to find dynamically
loaded stub libraries (the C library which provide stubs which link to
existing C libraries and are called from ocaml code) and as thus will
only be used at link and run time, not for compilation.

Anyway, ocaml-ldconf is being phased out, it was a nice idea back then
when the dll.so wiles where installed all over the place, but since we
managed to agree on a standard directory for them, it is no longer
needed.

Anyway, Merry Christmas and Happy new year to everyone.