Re: Tr: [Caml-list] Announce: camlgl - OpenGL bindings for OCaml

Sven Luther <luther@dpt-info.u-strasbg.fr> writes:

>> However I've downloaded the tarball and I think that the whole
>> distribution is pretty dirty:
>> - no autoconfiscation
>> - makefiles are poor and pentium oriented
>> - no main makefile
>
> Have you contacted upstream about it ?

No, I haven't. I don't have enough time currently.

>> The advantage is the OpenGL 1.4 support while lablgtk supports 1.1
>> only. But, Mesa 5.0 is not yet in Debian.
>
> And will not (really) have it for a long time, since mesa 5 will not go
> into XFree86 4.3.0 to be released in spring. We will have to wait a year
> for XFree86 4.4.0, and then it will probably be too late for sarge.
>
> That said, you can alsways use Michel Daenzer's DRI CVS-trunk snapshot
> packages, and get MESA 5.0 immediately.

The Mesa maintainer may release mesa 5.0, according to my last contacts
with him.

>> So, I'm not in favour of packaging it right. It is not
>> ready for packaging, really.
>
> Ok, but i guess telling upstream about this would maybe urge him to
> improve the quality of it. He is using the official sounding camlGL
> name, so he should live up to it.

It seems to be developed in the shadow: the sourceforge project is
empty except from the source tarball.

>> > That said, you did notice my question about this on the caml list, did
>> > you ? It would be interresting to know what the responce is, from both
>> > them and Jacques.
>>
>> Yes. I'd prefer that the code be added to lablgl.
>> LablGL has a higher quality.
>
> :)))
>
> And anyway, lablgl works with ocamlsdl.

Yes, it does.

> Let's see if there is some response from the question i aked on the caml
> list.

Alright.

Jérôme Marant

http://marant.org