Re: Tr: [Caml-list] Announce: camlgl - OpenGL bindings for OCaml

On Fri, Dec 20, 2002 at 05:32:10PM +0100, Jérôme Marant wrote:
> En réponse à Sven Luther <luther@dpt-info.u-strasbg.fr>:
>
> > On Fri, Dec 20, 2002 at 02:16:19PM +0100, Jérôme Marant wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > >   Would it be reasonnable to provide this, considering
> > >   that lablgl already exists (I would volonteer for this)?
> >
> > I was thinking of doign it, but go ahead and package it, especially
> > since are packaging ocamlsdl, it does make sense that you do it.
> > (Especially since i don't really have time for it).
> >
> > But then, maybe you could look also at the Glut bindings that where
> > announced some time back also, maybe by the same guy ?
>
> I don't recall whether it was the same guy.
>
> However I've downloaded the tarball and I think that the whole
> distribution is pretty dirty:
> - no autoconfiscation
> - makefiles are poor and pentium oriented
> - no main makefile

Have you contacted upstream about it ?

> The advantage is the OpenGL 1.4 support while lablgtk supports 1.1
> only. But, Mesa 5.0 is not yet in Debian.

And will not (really) have it for a long time, since mesa 5 will not go
into XFree86 4.3.0 to be released in spring. We will have to wait a year
for XFree86 4.4.0, and then it will probably be too late for sarge.

That said, you can alsways use Michel Daenzer's DRI CVS-trunk snapshot
packages, and get MESA 5.0 immediately.

> So, I'm not in favour of packaging it right. It is not
> ready for packaging, really.

Ok, but i guess telling upstream about this would maybe urge him to
improve the quality of it. He is using the official sounding camlGL
name, so he should live up to it.

> > That said, you did notice my question about this on the caml list, did
> > you ? It would be interresting to know what the responce is, from both
> > them and Jacques.
>
> Yes. I'd prefer that the code be added to lablgl.
> LablGL has a higher quality.

:)))

And anyway, lablgl works with ocamlsdl.

Let's see if there is some response from the question i aked on the caml
list.