Draft for the proposed handling of transitions

Hi,

  Here is a draft of my proposal for transitions between
  OCaml releases (not the silly counterproposal but what
  I explained further ;-).

  Let's assume that OCaml version N is currently in the
  archive. There are both ocaml and ocaml-base in the archive.
  Then, upstream releases OCaml N+1.

  1/ Sven creates a new source package ocaml<N+1>, providing two
  binary packages ocaml<N+1> and ocaml<N+1>-base:

  Package: ocaml<N+1>
  Provides: ocaml-<N+1>

  Package: ocaml<N+1>-base
  Provides: ocaml-base-<N+1>

  Since it is a new package, it will take some time to enter the
  archive, so Sven puts it somewhere so we can download it.

  2/ Everyone recompiles one's packages against ocaml<N+1> and help
  others who don't have to (possible NMU). A comprehensive list
  of OCaml packages to be recompiled will be maintained in order to
  ensure nothing was forgotten.

  3/ As soon as ocaml<N+1> et al. enter the archive, everyone uploads
  one's packages.

  4/ When all packages have been uploaded, Sven releases a new ocaml
  version N+1 as follows:

  Package: ocaml
  Provides: ocaml-<N+1>
  Conflicts: ocaml<N+1>

  Package: ocaml-base
  Provides: ocaml-base-<N+1>
  Conflicts: ocaml<N+1>-base

  5/ Sven asks for the removal of ocaml<N+1>

Any comment welcome :-)

Jérôme Marant

http://marant.org