Re: Counter proposal for the multiple ocaml installed

En réponse à Sven Luther <luther@dpt-info.u-strasbg.fr>:

> On Tue, Oct 22, 2002 at 02:51:50PM +0200, Jérôme Marant wrote:
> >   I didn't state it explicitely because whatever it depends on,
> >   since ocaml-base-3.07 does not conflict with ocaml-base-3.06,
> >   the problem remains.
>
> If A was built with ocaml 3.06, then all the libraries will be in the
> 3.06 directory, and in any way, A will know nothing about about either
> 3.07 or B. So yes, you are right, A will break, but because there is
> no
> more an appropriate B for it. It will complain about a lacking B
> dll.so
> (notice this is a problem only for packages providing stub libraries,
> not all libraries are such, as i noticed by helping Shouxun with the
> baire package).
>
> So there are two ways to solve this.
>
>   o Have all libraries providing stublibs built for two releases, with
>   proper dependency handling. This is the one i would prefer, but it
> is
>   more work.

And as Stefano said, this means adding a new binary package every
time a new ocaml comes out.

>   o Only provide libraries for one suite of ocaml. This is what Jerome
>   propose.

Yes, I do propose this. What I'd like: if B is being recompiled
against ocaml-base-3.07, A conflits with B.

> Mmm, it is a bit more complex than that. I feel the dependency thingy
> would be the cleanest, even if Georges Mariano would claim i am going
> at
> this backward, but the stronger the dependencies, the less likely we
> are
> to break things.

We just don't care.

> So, what about a new proposal, concerning the libraries.
>
> Each stublibs providing library (libzip-ocaml for example), should
> provide a virtual package which includes his name and the version of
> the
> ocaml package it depends upon, in addition to other stuff.
>
> libzip-ocaml would provide libzip-ocaml-3.06.
>
> Other packages can depend on this then, and no risk of breaking
> things.
>
> Mmm, let me think a bit more about this issue.

As Stephano said, this is overkilling. Especially since for
transitional purpose only.

Jérôme Marant <jerome@marant.org>
              <jerome.marant@free.fr>

http://marant.org