From: Marc Santoro <ultima@bespin.org>
To: luther@debian.org
Subject: Debian OCaml problem (unstable)

Hello,

I've been having problems with the Debian ocaml distribution:

aurora:~$ ocamlopt str.cmxa stuff.ml
/usr/lib/ocaml/libasmrun.a(str.o)(.text+0x1de): In function `is_printable':
: undefined reference to `__ctype_b'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
Error during linking

stuff.ml is an empty file.

This does not occur when I build the distribution from source by hand, Debian or upstream. I can actually copy the libasmrun.a file from the compiled source tree into /usr/lib/ocaml and the build will succeed:

aurora:/usr/src/ocaml/ocaml-3.06/asmrun# cp libasmrun* /usr/lib/ocaml
aurora:~$ ocamlopt str.cmxa stuff.ml
aurora:~$

This is, in addition to the first time I've seen the error, the first time I've used Str. Learning the language :)

Also, I had to tweak the permissions of some of the scripts used in the ocaml-source package, because none had the execute bit set. I don't remember which ones; I just got into the habit of checking permissions when build failures occurred. The configure script was the first I saw.

I am running unstable, updated today, on an x86 (Pentium 4, 384mb RAM).

Thanks!

----- End forwarded message -----